Tuesday, June 7, 2022

Beavercreek to Vandalia

 When they say "Life is a beautiful ride", in the future I will remember this ride.  There was a bike trail almost all the way from Beavercreek to my destination north of Vandalia.  Actually several bike trails.  And a lot of bridges!  The first bridge was a footpath across a little creak separating two cul-de-sacs in a residential neighborhood.  I was surprised that Google Maps even knew about it. It was in Merrick Park. 


The City of Beavercreek has been designated "Bicycle-Friendly" by the League of American Bicyclists.  I found it to be true.  I was able to reach my destinations by either a bike trail or a designated lane or a bicycle-friendly street.  Drivers were courteous, as were the restaurants and their patrons.  I would definitely go back again.  


There is a fantastic station along the bike trail, near the Beavercreek 9/11 memorial. 



I filled up my tires using the pump provided at the station.  The back tire was definitely low.  I was glad I stopped to use it. 


The station is modern, but appears to have architecture designed like an old train station. Nice restrooms and vending machines for Pepsi products and water.  

As I rode along, it began to sprinkle.  It was warm, and the very light rain was refreshing.  I noticed that a church along the designated "Creekside Trail" provided a little food pantry. 


There was also a gazebo, and another bike tool station. 


As I rode along, I came to the Mad River Trail.  There may have been another trail in between the two.  

These two signs were in close proximity.  The Mad River Trail and Creekside trails are both part of designated Bicycle Route #2.  


I had come along this type of trail marker two years ago when pedaling the Ohio to Erie Trail.  That was Trail #1. 



Picturesque stone bridge in Mad River Metropark. 


Beautiful views of the river as I rode along.  The surface was quite still, although I am sure the water was moving quite fast.


The trail ran along the river for several miles.  I was entranced by the pink flower, it may be a variety of vetch, but I didn't take the time to identify it.  The tall purple thistles just beyond, not sure if they were Scotch Thistles or Bull Thistles, looked like the flowers from a Dr. Suess book.  


After  riding up a switchback to climb up a hill and crossing over the river on a scary (to me) bridge, I saw this couple dancing in the park.  What a beautiful sight!   


Had to cross another bridge.  There are a lot of bridges in Dayton! 

 

Most of the Great Miami River trail was downhill, and after the sun came out I really appreciated that most of the trails were also shady, running through cool patches of woods.  And for some of the time, the wind was at my back.  I was sailing along without a care in the world. I rode only a section of this 89-mile long trail that runs from Hamilton, Ohio to Piqua.

Near this point I was riding through the historic village of Tadmor.  The Taylorsville Metropark website states "The land where Taylorsville MetroPark now sits was once the site of the bustling town of Tadmor, one of the most important centers of transportation in early Ohio history. With all four means of transportation of the day within yards of each other, Tadmor was truly the crossroads of America."

I didn't stop, as I wanted to meet my hostess at her shop Fiber and Fusion Studio between 3:30 and 4:00. When I left the Metropark to turn off on Old Springfield Road, I found that it was a heavily traveled road with no shoulder whatsoever.  And it was a lot of up and down hills.  And I was riding directly into the wind. 

Most of the cars were polite, waiting to pass me until they could see beyond the crest of the hill.  I was sweating it, climbing up the hills.  At a few points I had to get off and walk.  One red sports car blared his horn at me.  Ok, Ohio law says you are supposed to give an audible signal when passing.  Most people don't.  I'm glad, because whenever a car beeps behind me, it gives me a start.  When trying to ride uphill with a heavy pannier, a start makes me wobble a little.  But this guy in the sports car BLARED his horn at me and yelled something out the window.  I had about five miles to go to get to the yarn studio.  I called my husband and told him to come and get me, I was done.  He said he'd be there in two hours. 

I continued on to the yarn shop. I crossed over I-75.  At the end of Old Springfield Road, I turned on North Dixie Drive.  I saw the fiber arts studio on the left, so instead of crossing the road and then crossing again, I cut through the parking lot of the business on the corner and rode my bike through the grass in the front of her studio.   I had a great interview and visit to the yarn shop.  When I was about to leave, however, the light sprinkle of rain had turned into a windy thunderstorm!  My hostess insisted that I wait for Ed to come and pick me up.   While I was waiting, I got a text from the KOA campground that they had no electricity, no phones, and no water due to the storm.  So, since I was going to be camping in a tent,  I asked them to cancel my reservation, and they did!   Yay! 

So, today I am taking a rest day at home.  It is supposed to rain all day off and on.  I have to figure out how to continue my "Yarn Trek"


No comments:

Post a Comment

2023 Adventures

 Between getting an upper respiratory infection in July and still recovering from knee replacement last year, I would say that I have not go...