Sunday, June 5, 2022

Xenia to Beavercreek

 I had a great stay at the Ramada Inn in dowtown Xenia.  They let me bring my bike up to my room.  Evidently there were a lot of cyclists in the hotel for the weekend.  Xenia is a hub of several trails coming together, so it's probably not unusual for the hotel to accommodate them.  After camping the night before, a hot shower and a comfy bed were blessings.

They even had a bowl of bananas on the front desk as I checked out, and the young man offered me one, along with a brown bag breakfast.  I guess that is the COVID adaptation.  I took out the granola bar, and gave him back the juice and the vending-machine-style sticky bun.  I am trying to avoid sugar.  The gentleman at the front desk offered me yogurt! Yay!  

I had been hungry when I was going to bed, and I was still hungry.  I noticed there was a Frisch's Big Boy restaurant just down the street.  I stopped in.  I ended up buying the buffet as there was no combination of menu items that met my specific dietary preferences! Eggs and salad.  A group of three cyclists came in while I was eating and sat at the next table.  We chatted, they had seen my loaded bike and were curious as to where I was going.  When I told them the next stop was Beavercreek, as we were all leaving about the same time, they pointed out the shortcut to the trail.  They had come up from Beavercreek for breakfast, were turning around and heading back.  They mentioned that it was all downhill!  

 

They sped ahead of me and I plodded on to Beavercreek.  They didn't lie about the trail being downhill all the way.  It was a very slight slope.  I passed a drag strip where a race was in progress.  The voice of the announcer boomed out all the way to the trail. 




It was shady and very pleasant ride.  Until I got to Beavercreek!  I noted the Ritter frozen custard stand.  It seemed a fairly upscale place with its blue and white umbrellas.  If I could eat ice cream I would have crossed the highway and stopped in.  I am sure they are not related to my Ritter branch of the family. 


 Then there were some small rolling hills.  I took the Creekside Trail for a way. I ate lunch at the Cherry House Cafe which was a charming locally-owned restaurant that had great salads made from greens, not just iceberg lettuce.  I added a grilled chicken breast to my order. It was delicious. 



My host for the day was Julie Esterlin, and her shop was only a few miles away from the restaurant.  
See my knitting blog for details of the visit. 

It was an easy, short ride today.  Sunday is a day of rest.  My B and B is only a few miles from Julie's shop.  





No comments:

Post a Comment

2023 Adventures

 Between getting an upper respiratory infection in July and still recovering from knee replacement last year, I would say that I have not go...