Saturday, June 4, 2022

I've stayed in London

 My camping spot for the night was the London primitive trailside camp.   It is next to the senior center, and although it's labelled "primitive", ift has 24-hour video surveillance, Wi-Fi, restrooms with warm water and flush toilets with electronic keycode after 9:00 pm.

I put up my tent.  An older man, with panniers on his bike, stopped by the picnic shelter and mentioned all the rules and pointed out the features.  He said he stops by a few times a week.

It seems the people of London and Madison County take the Biblical injunction to show hospitality very literally.

I rinsed out my shorts and jerseys, and spread them over my bike to dry.  

This morning, a trail volunteer stopped by and introduced himself as Dave. He produced a clothesline from the trunk of his car so my clothes would dry faster.  He asked about my trip. Later, he came back with his wife to make sure I knew about the knitting shop in town.  I told him that was why I was here!  It was so kind and thoughtful of him!



While I was waiting for my clothes to dry, I took up a conversation with a cyclist who was waiting for the rest of his group, the Columbus Black Star Cyclists.  He was doing a shorter ride than the rest because he was recovering from an injury a few years ago.  While riding downhill fast, he slipped in a wet spot and his bike went down, breaking his arm and three ribs, also injuring his hand and scraping up his leg.  He's now riding an eBike while he recovers, and it is working well for him. He said the battery will last about four hours on the lowest setting.  We discussed the way time seems to stand still while an accident is in process, also how some people seem to be crazy!    He hoped I was carrying a gun for safety reasons on this trip.  He is a DJ with a local radio station.  




The jerseys were finally dry, or almost.  I packed up all my things, got dressed, filled my water bottles, ate a cookie, and finally set off on the way towards Beaver Creek, my next knitting destination.









No comments:

Post a Comment

2023 Adventures

 Between getting an upper respiratory infection in July and still recovering from knee replacement last year, I would say that I have not go...