Friday, June 3, 2022

Columbus to London

 A new day dawned, and it was perfect for a bike ride.  Temperatures were in the seventies and the humidity was low.  The sky was clear.   


After eating a light breakfast in the hostel, I stepped outside and found a penny on the ground.  I picked it up and put it in my pocket.  A good omen.  I loaded up my bike and set off.   


I had only gone a few blocks when I came to High Street where there was a stand of Lyft bikes.  Across the way was a little restaurant advertising all-day breakfast, so I went in. The waitress, who appeared to be of Iranian or maybe Lebanese background, made sure I had a credit card because they are not accepting cash, I assume due to Covid concerns.  She put on a mask before taking my order for two eggs.   

While I ate my eggs, she asked me about my bike and which way I was going.   I told her, and she pointed out that the broken line on the map indicated that there were a series of steps to get to the Olentangy trail, and I would be better off going south on Neil Avenue and then crossing over on Patterson.  

I paid for my food and followed her advice.
A few more blocks down, the trail was closed due to construction, but the detour was clearly marked.  Finally I arrived back to the Olentangy trail, where I could at times see the river and other times it was blocked by concrete walls.  A pair of goldfinches followed along the trail with me for about a mile, dipping and rising and flashing their golden wings.  Another good omen.

Eventually I arrived at Confluence park, where the Scioto and the Olentangy rivers merge together.  I had to ride across a bridge or two.   This is getting easier for me as I do it more frequently.  It used to terrify me for no logical reason.


I continued on the Scioto trail and finally to the Camp Chase Trail, where I noticed the murals.  


I crossed another bridge and stopped to take a selfie.


I rode to the end of the Camp Chase Trail, and somewhere along the way, the trail name changed, although it is still part of US Bicycle Route 50 and the Ohio to Erie Trail.  I had forgotten how confusing the trail was around Big Darby Creek, and I, along with another trail user, suddenly came to a gravel section that led to the end of the trail.  


We had no choice but to go back.  I told him to go ahead, as I walked my bike back up the hill on the gravel path due to the heavy panniers.  He had a lighter bike and no panniers so he could move much faster.  I finally plotted an alternate route that involved riding on the road and going through a roundabout.  This road led right past the Oak Ridge Tavern.  I stopped in for lunch. It went something like this, only reversed.

I waited a while for service and was debating if I should leave.  I had a pretty good cod sandwich, after the bartender finally informed me that she was not a waitress and if I wanted to order, I needed to come up to the bar.

Got back on my bike on the trail after lunch and pedaled a few more miles.  The day continued to be perfect, and there was shade on this part of the trail.  When I was 8 miles from London, I called the yarn shop to warn them I would be arriving in about an hour, more or less.  

My phone battery was down to 1%.  I am carrying battery banks.
I stopped and rooted around in my handlebar bag, but did not find the correct charging cable for my phone, so that would mean opening up the panniers.  I didn't want to be late, since the knit store closes at 5:00 pm.  So I just prayed the battery would last to give me directions until I arrived at my destination. 

You can find details for my visit at Yesterday's Ewes here. 















No comments:

Post a Comment

2023 Adventures

 Between getting an upper respiratory infection in July and still recovering from knee replacement last year, I would say that I have not go...