Tuesday, July 20, 2021

June and July rides

 There are about 5 things I want to cover in this blog post. 

1. Group Rides

2. I made it up a hill

3. I didn't make it up another hill

4. I travelled to Monticello, Illinois and got some riding in

5. I am prepping for the Pan Ohio Hope Ride, which begins TOMORROW. 

Group Rides: 

I've been hosting a group ride every Tuesday since mid-March.  It is a relaxed, 10-12 mph ride on the local bike trail.  There have been a total of five different women riding with me.  I have really enjoyed the group rides, they go by quickly because of the chatting we do as we ride.   

During the Shelby, Ohio, Bicycle Days Festival, on  Saturday July 10, three of us were joined by a friend and we rode the longest marked route for the "Lindy Flyer" ride.  After the ride we stopped in at the festival and ate some Fair Food. 


Before the Shelby ride, I also joined the Peckerhead Invitational ride on June 20 from Mansfield Ohio, to Lexington and back along country roads and the bike trail.  I made some new friends, and saw some old friends.  


The riders of this ride were a little up-skilled from my abilities.  I quickly fell to the back of the pack.  There was one fellow rider who stuck with me the whole time.   We took the short route and then we were still about the last two to arrive back at the beginning.  The host did invite me back for next year, so I guess I didn't do too badly. 





Hills: 

Other than these rides, I've mostly been doing "Solitary Cycling" (There is a large group on Facebook by that name.)  I have several routes near my home that are hilly.  The shortest is 8.5 miles.   I have been trying to get up the hill on my road for the two years.  This month I made it over the crest of the hill.  Major Accomplishment!  This hill is not long, but it is steep. 

I was so excited I mapped a new route that is a mile longer.  I found out it has a steeper hill than the one on my road.  I will not be riding that way again for a while, until I build up my strength.  

As of today, I have 191 miles for the month of July.  

Travel: 

Last Tuesday, I left for Monticello, Illinois, to attend a circular sock machine "Crank-in".  See my knitting blog  for details on this subject.  While I was there, I got up each morning before 6 am so that I could ride before attending the seminar, which was held at the Best Western Hotel, near the Railroad Museum.   I mapped various routes to Allerton Park and back, and rode two short bike trails.  The Sangamon River trail is 1.2 miles, from near downtown north to the cemetary, which was just south of the hote.   I only rode part of The East Prairie Walking and Biking Path as it crossed County Farm Road, which I was riding on my return trip from Allerton,  about mid-way.  


The traffic on the road was very light.  The few cars that passed me gave me a wide berth. 
  

The formal gardens at Allerton were amazing. 




I leaned my bike against a pedestal in the "Avenue of the Chinese Musicians". 



At the very end of the road through the park, there is a meadow, with a centerpiece sculpture "The Sun Singer" 


The mansion is reserved for guests.  I understand there is a large hall that is available for a very expensive rental fee for events. 


I got a photo of my bike at the base of the water tower in Monticello. 



Pan-Ohio Hope Ride

This is the big ride I have been training for all season.  The routes were just released a few days ago, and I haven't had a chance to look them over yet.  Over 4 days, I will ride 328 miles.  The first day's ride is 89 miles.  This takes my breath away.  I haven't ever ridden that many miles in one day, and definitely not this year. I will be getting up early and staying up late!  

It is a charity ride for the American Cancer Society Hope homes.   From the ACS website "The Hope Lodge Community in Cleveland opened in 1995 with 31 guest suites, common dining & recreation areas, and a full kitchen. Since that time, the Cleveland Hope Lodge has become the second busiest American Cancer Society Hope Lodge in the nation. To ensure the Hope Lodge program can meet the needs of cancer patients and their caregivers, a renovation and expansion of the facility is underway.

It is our hope that when the pandemic is over, the Cleveland Hope Lodge will be able to open its doors to even more cancer patients and caregivers in need. Together, we will rally the funds and hope needed to complete the Cleveland Hope Lodge Project."

If you'd like to support my ride, you can do so at this link   or http://main.acsevents.org/goto/Brendafish







No comments:

Post a Comment

2023 Adventures

 Between getting an upper respiratory infection in July and still recovering from knee replacement last year, I would say that I have not go...