Tuesday, June 29, 2021

More Italy Grand Tour - Parma again

Last week I picked up on the rest of my planned "Grand Tour of Italy".  I got up at 3:30 in the morning to have my husband drop me off in Parma, Ohio (where he works) and arrived just as the sun was rising around 5:45 am.  He dropped me off near Chevrolet Boulevard and Snow Road, and I started off on the Big Creek Trail.  I had ridden this trail a few weeks ago, going the other direction, from Middleburg Heights.  

It was a pleasant ride, not too many people were out so early in the morning. I came to a point where the trail dipped down a big hill, and I thought I had better stop and check my map to make sure I wanted to go down that hill.  It turned out to be where the trail crossed under I-71, so I kept going.  


I stopped shortly later to take a picture of this fiberglass pteradactyl in someone's front yard, 


then a few more pedal revolutions later stopped again at Lake Isaac.  There was a restroom available there.  The sun was just painting gorgeous colors on to the lake. 




I kept pedaling through the Metroparks, taking the Valley Parkway Trail.  At least that is what it is called on google maps.  In Trail Link, it is called the  Mill Stream Run .  I ran into a hill near the southern end and had to walk up. I tried to get back on the bike halfway up the hill,  and ended up by falling over on my bike, being clipped in and going too slowly.   Luckily no one saw me. It is embarrassing to fall over on your bike.   I continued walking up the hill, a walker stopped and chatted with me for a moment.  I admitted to her that I had fallen.  She said the trail was level at the top of the hill.  She lied.  It was more uphill at the top of the hill!  The trail continued a little beyond where the map said it should end.  



I had planned to ride south down State Road, but it was closed for construction.  I continued to Broadview to take the detour back to State Road.  I was glad I did, because where I turned back west, what should appear but a winery!  I checked, and they were scheduled to open at 11:00.  It was already 10:30, and I was getting hungry, having finished my breakfast at 4:30 am.  



I took a photo of my bike in front of the winery, then asked permission to sit in back on the patio and wait for them to open. 


The sun was warm, the winery had free wifi, and I checked in with Facebook and my WW Connect buddies.   


Aromas of tomato sauce and garlic filled the air.  I was getting really hungry at this point. 


I took a selfie.  At 11:00, I went in to order lunch.  Well, I was disappointed.  The coffee shop/bakery opened at 11:00, but the "kitchen" did not open until 12:00.  I ordered an espresso, but didn't order any of the delicious-looking baked goods in their display case.  I didn't want to sit around and wait another hour.  I was planning to go to Lodi, and I had only a few more hours until Ed would be on his way home, to stop and pick me up.    

I got back on my bike. There were several other riders on the road.  They were going a lot faster than me.    In fact, one of them lapped me.  I headed for the nearest restaurant that was close to being "on my way".  That was Foster's Tavern in Hinckley.   While I was eating my chicken salad (WW would approve), Ed called and said he was leaving work early and coming to pick me up.  So, I took my time finishing my salad, and he drove up just as I was unlocking my bike. 


I didn't make it to Lodi.

No comments:

Post a Comment

2023 Adventures

 Between getting an upper respiratory infection in July and still recovering from knee replacement last year, I would say that I have not go...