Friday, September 10, 2021

Delaware Vacation

 My husband and I took a beachy vacation in Delaware.  I had never been to Delaware before, although he had been to Seaford on a business trip.  He remembered having really good seafood there. 

He's been working very hard and really needed a vacation.  So, off we went! It was a short stay.  We drove straight through.  We stayed in an AirBnB in Millsboro, which was about 20 minutes from each of several beaches. 

We are not really beach people.  He has red hair and fair skin that burns. I get antsy lying around on a beach when there are a million things to do. 

  

But, I loved Delaware for how bicycle-friendly it seemed to be!  I had brought my bike along, but he didn't expect to bicycle.  So we ended up renting a bike for him in Bethany Beach and rode about 10 miles, exploring all the beach roads and the side streets. 

The next morning I rode from Millsboro to Dagsboro and back alone. I was looking for a trail that led from Dagsboro to the beach, but I never found it.  If Ed had not been waiting for me to return, I would have kept looking.    There were a few hairy moments, such as google telling me to cross a four-lane highway, but I decided to ride an extra mile and cross at an intersection with a light. 

Even 20 minutes away from the beach by car, all the major roads had dedicated bike lanes or "share the road" signs.  Maybe what was marked as a trail in google was actually a road with a bike lane. 




We rode the ferry to Cape May, taking our car (and therefore my bike) with us.  I didn't ride much, but I took a picture of my bike. 

We had a great seafood meal at The Lobster House in Cape May.  Unfortunately, the last day of our vacation it rained.  I visited a local yarn store and bought some yarn, you can see my project at my knitting blog http://brightmeadowknits.blogspot.com when I get it posted.  It's already in ravelry, where my username is brightmeadow.  

The next day the morning dawned with absolutely perfect weather.  Unfortunately, it was time to head home.  On the way out of town, we stopped at the Vanderwende creamery. We had seen these ice cream shops in every beach town but never made it to any of them.  
The ice cream shop's colors match my bike. Therefore, I think they should sponsor me.


As I was posing my bike with a statue of a cow, Ed pointed out the bald eagle in the field.  



The cows were not disturbed by the eagle.  I tried to get closer and zoom in, but alas, no good.  They say the best camera is the one you have with you, but that may not always be true! 







No comments:

Post a Comment

2023 Adventures

 Between getting an upper respiratory infection in July and still recovering from knee replacement last year, I would say that I have not go...