Sunday, November 22, 2020

Planning Rome trip - Grand Tour of Ohio by Bicycle

 I'm planning a bicycle trip to Rome.  Or maybe several trips!

There are three communities in Ohio named Rome.  The largest is in Adams county, just across the Ohio River from Kentucky.  The second is in Ashtabula County in the extreme northeast section of the state.  The third one is in Richland County.  It is a no-brainer which one I will visit first, especially during these short-day winter months.  I live in Richland County!  The travel time will not eat up hours of the day.  I've planned a 36-mile ride with one level-5 hill. 



The unincorporated village of Rome, Ohio doesn't appear to be much more than an intersection.  My ride will start at Fowler Woods Nature Preserve, where I know there will be parking, and travel along country roads through Olivesburg, home of the famous Olivesburg Country Store (they have ice cream!) and Ganges, before heading through Rome and Greenwich.  

On the north side of Greenwich, there is a rail-trail in development heading off to New London.  Since it is not yet open to the public, I won't be exploring it this year.  Google maps identify it as "Sought" trail, but the web site identifies it as the New London-Greenwich Rail Trail, Inc.  I don't find it on the Trail Link app, presumably because it is not yet open. 

I almost rode it earlier this week when the temperature climbed to the 60's, but wind gusts up to 40 mph scared me out of the attempt. 

Wikipedia says that this community was not named for Rome, Italy, but instead was named for Rome, New York.  Presumably some settlers had traveled from New York.  The New York community is the second-largest community by area in New York State, and has a rich history.  Before it was settled by Europeans,  an ancient Native American portage path ran through the area.  

While I am waiting on the weather, I will be researching the history, cuisine, and fashion of Rome, Italy and plotting out routes for the other two Romes in Ohio.  Looking ahead , I noticed that the Western Reserve Greenway Trail runs north-south in Ashtabula near Rome Township. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

2023 Adventures

 Between getting an upper respiratory infection in July and still recovering from knee replacement last year, I would say that I have not go...