Saturday, September 12, 2020

2020 Bike Trip - Day 12

 Weather forecast for Richland county says chances for rain are increasing after 3:00 pm. So I debated the merits of carrying full rain gear.  But the forecast for Maumee, Ohio says clear all day.  I settled on taking a poncho as well as a change of clothes.


I decided to start from Fremont today.  It is 38 miles total to my destination from there, that theoretically should be achievable although the last few days I have been averaging only about 25 miles per day.

Ed drove through Bucyrus and I noticed that the old Pickwick Stud stables on Route 4  has been converted to a farmer's market.  Would like to go there one of these days.

The North Coast Inland Trail parking in Fremont was easy to find, and a pleasant, tree-lined flat asphalt trail, crossing under I-80.  



I arrived in Elmont in short order.  I stopped in at the trailside bicycle shop "Spoke Life Cycles" and asked if they did walk-in service.  Ever since I threw the chain yesterday, and it wrapped around the crank and I had to yank on it hard to pull it out,  I've been hearing a clicking noise from the rear of the bike as if it wants to shift, but I am not shifting.  They took it in and put it on the rack, make a very slight adjustment to the rear derailleur, checked the front derailleur, checked my tire pressure, and would not charge me a cent!   Extremely nice people.  I will look them up, the next time I need parts or supplies.  There is an ice cream shop next door.  Too bad I don't eat ice cream.




Riding past the restored railway station,  I saw a trailside sign advertising Christy's Corner Cafe.  I decided it would be best to stop for lunch where I knew there was food, instead of heading off into the unknown.  I pedaled into town up the quaint main street. 



There was a group of three people in line in front of me.  They took a long time to decide what they wanted, and the young man behind the counter fussed over their drink order for a long time before taking my order for a chicken quesadilla and a Gator-Ade.  He forgot to ring up my Gator-Ade. So after we got that straightened out, I went outside to wait and watch my bike, which I had not locked.   I think he lost my order, because I waited and waited and waited.  Finally he brought me a free cookie to apologize.  I just wanted my food!  Finally it came, and it was delicious!   I was attacked by hornets before I could finish it. I put on insect repellent spray, but that seemed to draw more hornets. I dumped what was left in the garbage can and got back on my bike.


The North Coast Inland Trail ended at a detour sign just west of Elmont.  I plotted a course to Maumee with Google maps, and it took me the shortest way, which includes busy highways like US-20 and US-23 and Ohio-795 that I had no intention of riding on.  So I followed the directions, sort of, turning right onto a country road when they wanted me to turn left several times. 

 I went down several country roads that were not much wider than the trails, that had minimal traffic.  A couple of Doberman pincers barked at me when I stopped in the shade to take a drink.  Their owner said they would not leave the yard.  Then a couple of Samoyeds across the street took up the chorus, so I decided to move on.

 I was still getting "chatter" from the chain that was not there before I threw the chain yesterday.  I think that either a tooth on the sprocket is bent or broken, or the chain is deformed.  But didn't want to stop in the middle of the road to check it.  Just west of Elmore a couple on a motorcycle stopped to ask if I was ok and to offer me water.  They asked how to contribute to my cause (I'm wearing a GCC jersey) and I gave them a card.  They said they were from Stony Ridge, which I later pedaled through. (That intersection with Libby Road and the freeway was a little scary, but I made it through.) 

The sky was threatening rain, but it held off.



At one point I saw a pickup truck in my rear-view mirror with two big American flags mounted in the bed, it was following behind me slowly.  Two other vehicles passed him and then me.  I picked up the pace and pedaled faster, he turned around and went the other way.   He probably just wanted to make sure I was OK.

I started noticing that I had a headache.  It could be from the DEET in the insect repellent I used, or possibly the extra weight of the action-cam mounted on my helmet.  

Eventually I arrived at Perrysburg.  First I rounded a corner and saw a beautiful view of Maumee River. There were people waterskiing.



 A few minutes later when I saw the colorful umbrellas of a sidewalk cafe, Stella's, I realized how hungry I was.  


I had two appetizers, salmon bites and roasted brussels sprouts, both delicious.  Service was excellent.

I tried to call Uber after dinner for those last five miles, but they said they had no vehicles available.  So I rode the distance.  Actually, I partly rode it and I partly walked it.   I walked over the bridge across Maumee River, 



and up the hill to downtown Maumee.  The rest of the ride was easy-peasy, either flat or downhill, and lighter traffic than I expected.

The good news is that I made it before dark, and that it did not rain!

Before I forget, I want to include a note of thanks to the park workers and the volunteers who work so diligently to clear the trails after a storm, and to mark the little dips and potholes and roots that have lifted the surface of the trails with day-glow spray paint to help others navigate accident-free.  I salute you!




No comments:

Post a Comment

2023 Adventures

 Between getting an upper respiratory infection in July and still recovering from knee replacement last year, I would say that I have not go...