Sunday, September 20, 2020

Biking in Michigan - 15th day of September 2020 bike trip

Biking in Muskegon, Michigan on a cold day

Ed and I travelled to the family farm.  It is unseasonably cold.  There are frost warnings.  In the morning the last two days, the temperature was at 36 -38 degrees.

I did not bring the right clothes with me.  I brought cycling jerseys and shorts, and a pair of yoga pants.  While I did bring my fleece-lined cycling bolero, which wards off a chill, I did not bring a jacket.  I do have a jeans jacket and a cotton sweater that I keep at the farm.  Yesterday afternoon, when the temperature climbed into the upper 60's,  I wore the jersey, the bolero, the sweater, my jeans jacket and set off to ride along the  Muskegon Lakeshore trail.  I was also wearing my helmet-cam.  It turned out it was mostly pointed too far down toward the ground, so I a couple of hours of video of the side of the trail.  I've included a couple of stills from the video that show something other than asphalt (but not much.)

Biking near Pere Marquette Park


I have been using the Trail Link app to read reviews of trails, so I used it to find the trailhead   Where the map indicated the trail started was a bike lane on city streets.  I had Ed drop me off at a park near Pete Marquette beach. 


  I set off on a trail through a wooded area, and soon came out at a site overlooking the water treatment plant south of Pere Marquette Beach.  I looked around the beach.  The road was under construction.  Sidewalks were filled with sand.  


 
Bike path with sand along beach






Finally I ended back at the place where I had earlier come out of the wooded area, and turned the other direction, to head for Lakeshore Drive.


  Again, the trail was a marked bike lane on city streets.  While traffic was light, I was still a little nervous.  




  Part of the trail was closed.   There was a well-marked detour through city neighborhoods, which took me a few houses away from Ed's childhood home.  



It was an interesting ride.  Finally the detour returned me to the main trail near Heritage Landing, and through industrial back lots to a scenic route with decking over long stretches of water.  When I reached the intersection of M-120 and Lake Avenue in North Muskegon near the Rite-Aid drugstore where Ed had dropped me off a few weeks ago, I decided to call it quits, as I had become overheated in my multiple layers.  Since I was riding the carbon-fiber road bike, I didn't have any way to stow away my jacket or my sweater.  Ed was visiting relatives only a few minutes away.  I forgot to stop logging the ride at the end.  As he drove away,  the electronic voice announced another mile logged, so I edited my mileage for this ride to approximately 9.2 miles.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

2023 Adventures

 Between getting an upper respiratory infection in July and still recovering from knee replacement last year, I would say that I have not go...